Subscribe to the Active Atoms Newsletter for tips to reduce inflammation and discover why we are the best turmeric!
FILTER BY TOPIC OR AUDIENCE:
Why Are Turmeric Curcuminoids Better Than Turmeric Powder?
Turmeric, the traditional Indian Spice, a component of curry, has been used throughout Asia for centuries for its numerous therapeutic benefits. There are accounts of it being used both in India’s Ayurvedic medical system and in Traditional Chinese Medicine.
Today, the reasons why people take turmeric for its therapeutic benefits are essentially the same reasons why Asian peoples have always taken it. In Ayurvedic medicine, turmeric is traditionally prescribed for:
- Relief from Arthritic Pain and Swelling
- Cognitive Enhancement
- Digestive Aid
- Antiseptic and Antibacterial
- Regulation of Blood Glucose
- Blood and Liver Detox
Turmeric, like all other herbs used for therapeutic purposes, contains active phytochemicals. In the case of turmeric, these active components are classified as curcuminoids. Thanks to modern technologies, we can now identify, isolate, and extract specific phytochemicals contained within botanicals, like turmeric, and then concentrate these components into highly potent nutraceuticals.
Curcuminoids are a group of three active phytochemicals known as polyphenols. Polyphenols are essentially colorants, or pigments. These pigments are responsible for the color and hue of various fruits and vegetables, while also contributing to their flavor.
Turmeric’s three curcuminoids include; curcumin, demethoxycurcumin, and bisdemethoxycurcumin. Of these three, curcumin is the primary curcuminoid, representing 77% of the total curcuminoid concentration. Partly for that reason, curcumin is the curcuminoid used for most scientific research studies.
While it has been believed for thousands of years that the rhizome, turmeric, had therapeutic value, its curcuminoids represent turmeric’s active components. People who use turmeric for therapeutic benefit, normally choose a turmeric extract with a high concentration of curcumin because:
- anyone who is looking for therapeutic benefit from curcumin would have to consume an ounce or more of pure turmeric powder every day, in order to achieve the same benefit as consuming 1000 mg per day of turmeric (spice) powder.
- a turmeric extract with a 95% concentration of curcumin is the most efficient and most potent form of turmeric for those seeking therapeutic benefits
What to Look for in a Turmeric Extract Product
It is generally understood by dietary supplement producers that in any turmeric extract product, the natural concentrations of the three curcuminoids should be maintained: curcumin = 77%, demethoxycurcumin = 17%, and bisdemethoxycurcumin = 3%.
In addition to the curcuminoid ratio, turmeric shoppers should also look out for:
- The product should contain a concentration of 95% curcuminoids.
- The daily serving of the product should be a minimum 1500 mg serving. This can be achieved with two capsules, each containing 750 mg. The results of scientific research on curcumin suggests that a serving level of 1000 to 2000 mg daily is ideal.
- The product should include 10 – 20 mg of Bioperine per serving. Bioperine is a standardized form of black pepper extract. Black pepper extract supports the absorption of curcumin in the gastrointestinal tract. Bioavailability, or absorption ability, is curcumin’s weak link.Curcuminoids are complex molecules that are difficult for our bodies to assimilate. However, Bioperine helps to dilate the cells of the small intestinal walls, allowing curcumin access into the bloodstream, increasing bioavailability by 2000%.
- It is very important to consider the source of the turmeric used to produce the curcumin, to ensure that it contains no harmful chemicals, especially lead. Most of the turmeric grown in the world originates in India and surrounding countries. Some years back, certain turmeric producers began adding an industrial pigment to their turmeric, in an attempt to enhance its coloration, thereby enhancing its market-appeal. As a result, Asian health officials have discovered a dangerously high level of lead in many Indian people, including nursing mothers, who have consumed this contaminated turmeric.
- Purchasing turmeric extract from a reliable, trustworthy supplier, who has investigated the source of its raw materials thoroughly to ensure that it is lead-free, non-GMO, and produced in an FDA-registered facility.
Before taking a turmeric supplement consult with your doctor and remember that Active Atoms should not be considered a medical treatment for arthritis. The purpose of Active Atoms is to support your joints by promoting a healthy inflammation response throughout your body.
Where to Buy?
With dozens of turmeric extract suppliers out there, who to buy from? The answer is simple. Active Atoms Turmeric Curcuminoids has the finest turmeric extract available anywhere and it’s the best value for targeting inflammation.